The Northern New England Passenger Rail Authority (NNEPRA) announced July 14 that the Amtrak Downeaster will begin operating four round-trip trains between Brunswick and Boston every day beginning on Monday, July 20, 2020 as it enters Phase 2 of service restoration.
Other Phase 2 service elements include the availability of onboard food service and the re-opening of some Downeaster station facilities. Visit AmtrakDowneaster.com for a complete schedule and service information.
Several protocols and procedures have been implemented to protect the health and safety of passengers and crews, including:
- Trains will be sanitized and disinfected daily with enhanced cleaning between trips.
- Face coverings are required for crews and passengers on board trains and in stations.
- The number of riders is limited to no more than 50% of available seating capacity to support physical distancing guidelines.
- Amtrak eTicketing allows for touchless tickets collection; cash sales are not accepted.
- Enhanced cleaning, training and social distancing protocols have been implemented at the Downeaster Café, including installation of plexiglass partitions at the service counter and a pilot program for at-seat service. The Café table seating area will remain closed.
- Enhanced cleaning, training and social distancing protocols have been implemented at Downeaster station facilities.
Complete information about the steps Amtrak is taking to protect the health and safety of their passengers and crews is available at Amtrak.com.
Downeaster service was suspended on April 13, 2020. Phase 1 of Downeaster service restoration began on June 15 with the operation of one round-trip train Downeaster weekdays only, with no Café service and no station facilities. PreCOVID-19, the Downeaster made five daily round-trips between Brunswick and Boston.
For additional Amtrak Downeaster information visit: AmtrakDowneaster.com