Boothbay Fire Department open house

Wed, 10/09/2019 - 4:00pm

    Free food, fun and fire safety were the top draws for the over 200 adults and children who attended Boothbay Fire Department’s annual Fire Prevention Week open house on Tuesday, Oct. 8.

    BFD and Bay View Lodge members served up hot dogs, hamburgers, soda, grilled sausages and french fries, while Boothbay Region Fire Auxiliary provided cakes, brownies and cookies for dessert. The Seat Belt Convincer, provided by Occupant Protection Safety Educator Rick Tarr of Atlantic Partners EMS, was a popular activity for the kids. When they weren’t waiting in line for their turn on the Convincer, children were greeted by Sparky the Fire Dog and Smokey Bear, who were roaming around the grounds and posing for photographs. Also available for the children was the Damariscotta-Massasoit Engine Company’s smoke trailer, which simulates a smoke-filled room. The smoke (produced with vegetable oil) was non-toxic. Children went into the trailer via steps and exited through a window and down a ladder.

    About a half hour into the event, Boothbay Harbor Fire Department firefighters were called away to Oceanside Golf Resort where they responded to a small fire (caused by a malfunctioning junction box) under the deck at the restaurant. The fire had been extinguished by employees shortly before the firefighters arrived, according to a report from Fire Chief Nick Upham.

    Inside the station, Clarence “Scott” Campbell, Boothbay’s emergency management agency director, and Maine Forest Ranger Daniel Welch were handing out fire prevention information, as well as stickers, bracelets, rulers and more to the adults and children.

    “This is great,” said BFD Lt. Alex Arsenault. “I think this has to be the best turnout ever.”

    Another popular activity for the kids was being able to pop a ball off a stand by spraying a fire hose at a target.

    Kids were also able to climb into the various fire trucks on hand.