Boothbay resident Mary Matthews was returning home from a hairdresser appointment early Wednesday afternoon, Feb. 11, when her car caught fire as she was pulling into her driveway along Wiscasset Road.
“She was spinning her tires to get up the hill,” Boothbay Fire Chief Dick Spofford said. “It looks like the fire started around the front right tire area.”
Matthews was able to exit the car quickly, and a passerby stopped to help. Boothbay firefighters and the Lincoln County Sheriff's Office were on the scene within minutes.
The firefighters sprayed regular and soapy water around and inside the vehicle to extinguish the blaze. The back window was visibly melted, and much of the interior was badly burnt.
According to Spofford, the car was “a total loss,” but there were no injuries. He helped Matthews back to her house once the fire was out.
Spofford also said that car fires are common, and he has responded to many during his years at the Boothbay Fire Department.