UPDATED: Williams Street fire extinguished

Posted:  Wednesday, November 28, 2018 - 4:30pm
Share: 

Updated Nov. 29:  Boothbay Harbor Fire Chief Nick Upham said the cause of the fire was electrical, originating in the area of the fuse box. Homeowner Norman Fogg said he had changed a fuse shortly before the fire. Upham shared these details in a followup phone call.

Original post: A call came in at 2:29 p.m. Wednesday, Nov.28 reporting a fire at 29 Williams St. in Boothbay Harbor. Smoke could be seen coming out of the home, a trailer with an addition. 

“We could see the fire through the windows when we arrived (on the back, right side of the building),” said Boothbay Harbor Fire Chief Nick Upham. “I’m going to say we’ve got 25 firefighters ... got it knocked down in 30 minutes.”

The homeowner and his dog got out of the house safely.

Southport Fire Chief Gerry Gamage said the Boothbay Harbor Fire Department, “did a great job. Usually once a trailer is on fire you can’t stop it. A lot of times it gets into the new roof and you can’t tell if the fire is trapped in the new roof or the old roof ...”

Mutual aid brought the fire departments of Boothbay and Southport to the scene as well as the Boothbay Harbor Police Department  and the Boothbay Region Ambulance Service.

Calls were made to the Fire Marshal’s office and the Red Cross.