Six towns respond to Boothbay Harbor fire on Logan Road

Heat lamps determined as cause
Tue, 07/16/2019 - 6:00pm

A house fire at 26 Logan Road in Boothbay Harbor, reported around 8:30 a.m. Tuesday to Lincoln County Communications, has left the home uninhabitable and not likely savable, First Assistant Fire Chief Glenn Tilton said.

Boothbay Harbor Fire Department responded and was later joined by departments from Southport, Boothbay, Edgecomb, Newcastle and Wiscasset. Lincoln County’s Mutual Aid Strike Team also helped.

The house, known locally as Gull Run, belongs to John R. Stratton II and Carol G. Stratton. Both escaped safely with their family cat. No injuries were reported.

As of noon Tuesday, crews were still working to put out remaining fires and embers. Around 1:15 p.m. Boothbay Harbor Fire Department crews found flames yet again.

“We got a little hot spot on the roof,” said Tilton. "We're going to try to put the ladder up there and see if we can peel that off and get it soaked so we don't have to come back later … We have it under control, but we still have to do some overhaul and make sure everything's out.”

Crews left the scene at 2:30 p.m. but left an engine in case of another flare-up.

Tilton said the fire was accidental and started by use of heat lamps on damp wood which owners intended on drying out to replace rotting clapboards. Having used heat lamps most of the day before, the homeowners shut them off last night and turned them back on early this morning to find smoke trickling out a couple hours later, Tilton said.

“It was a tough one to put out. Real tough. … It can take 10 to 15 minutes to wear somebody out. I can't imagine if this happened Friday or Saturday when it's supposed to be really, really hot …”

The homeowners have insurance, Tilton said. When crews left after inspecting for any lingering hot spots, the Strattons were then accompanied by around 10 neighbors and friends helping to remove salvageable items.