Lincoln County Historical Association offers new exhibits and events at three sites
The summer season for Lincoln County Historical Association (LCHA) begins on June 2, when the doors are open at the Old Jail in Wiscasset, the Chapman-Hall House in Damariscotta, and the Pownalborough Court House in Dresden.
“Sails on the Sheepscot,” the summer exhibit at the Museum and Old Jail, will delight the eye of sailors and landlubbers alike. The exhibit celebrates the splendid ships and world-renowned shipbuilders, captains, merchants, fishermen, whalers and explorers who worked in or sailed from Wiscasset in vessels rugged and graceful, all powered by the wind.
From 1605, when Samuel de Champlain is rumored to have traded with native inhabitants in Wiscasset, to Donald MacMillan who sailed from Wiscasset with Admiral Peary in the 1920s; from the whaling ship named Wiscasset to the privateer Grand Turk; from Pendleton’s Ship Yard on White’s Island to Captains Tucker and Nickels; and to the schooners Hesper and Luther B. Little who declined on our shores, Wiscasset is steeped in maritime tradition. The public is encouraged to see this one-season-only exhibit and savor the spirit of those special years.
“The Lay of the Land” is the title of the Pownalborough Court House summer exhibit. In 1772 ensign George Sproule of the British infantry produced a map titled “Plan of the Coast from Kennebec River to Round Pond.” It was an important advance in mapping of the Maine coast because, unlike earlier (and, for a while, later) maps which focused more on property boundaries and not so much on the actual geographical location of features, Sproule’s map captured the geography of the coastline in fine and beautifully drawn detail, and also marked objects of interest such as churches, houses and roads. This wonderful work of art was recently donated to LCHA by Dennis Dunbar of Westport Island. It has been installed on the third floor of the Pownalborough Court House where it is the centerpiece of an exhibit of equipment used for surveying the land as well as items pertaining to food, clothing and shelter during the period.
Chapman-Hall House will offer a demonstration of 18th century blacksmithing techniques by Jeff Miller on Saturday June 23rd. LCHA’s Summer with the Past children's program begins at the site on June 25. An exhibit of 18th and early 19th century clothing is planned for August.
The Old Jail and Chapman-Hall House are open from noon to 4 p.m. on weekends; the Pownalborough Court House is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays and noon to 4 p.m. on Sundays. During July and August, the Court House is also open on Tuesday-Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission is $5.00 for adults. LCHA members and children are admitted free of charge.
The Lincoln County Historical Association is a non-profit organization that provides stewardship for the 1754 Chapman-Hall House in Damariscotta, the 1761 Pownalborough Court House in Dresden, and the 1811 Old Jail and Museum in Wiscasset. For more information, please visit www.lincolncountyhistory.org or Facebook at Lincoln County Historical Association (Maine).