While firefighters were cooking and handing out free food Tuesday, Oct. 10, Boothbay Fire Chief Dick Spofford was in his usual spot during the Boothbay Fire Department’s annual open house held during Fire Prevention Week. Spofford was behind the table in the station’s truck bay, handing out information to parents and children about preventing fires. There were also stickers, key chains, pens, coloring books, plastic firefighters helmets and more.
“A pretty good turnout,” said Spofford of the over 150 people who showed up for the two-hour event.
Kim Pinkham cooked french fries and Mike Alley grilled sausages (with onions and green peppers) from the Bay View Lodge Masonic tent. Cooking and serving hot dogs and hamburgers were Tom Nickerson, Bill Smith and Rusty Court. Other firefighters and volunteers kept the dessert table and drink bins stocked.
“This is great,” said Desiree Scorcia of Boothbay, whose children enjoyed the bounce house, the food and looking over the display of fire engines.
The Massasoit Engine Company (Damariscotta Fire Department) supplied its smoke trailer, which simulates a smoke-filled room. The smoke (produced by using vegetable oil) was non-toxic. Children went into the trailer via steps and exited through a window and down a ladder.
Children also lined up quickly when Boothbay firefighter David Steinmetz allowed them to use a fire hose to shoot at a target. Some kids even ran through the stream of water, not minding getting wet on the warm evening.
Inside the station, Rick Tarr of Atlantic Partners EMS, known for his demonstrations of the Seat Belt “Convincer,” guided participants trying to get through a computer-generated driving program. “The program shows them (the participants) what happens when they are distracted by cell phones, radios and other matters,” said Tarr.
And Sparky, the fire dog, was active inside and outside the station, giving “high 5’s” and hugs to both children and adults.