This weekend, Aug. 10 and 11, visitors from near and far are invited to the Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington Railway to celebrate its 30th Anniversary in preservation. The railway, whose commercial operations spanned from 1894 to 1933 was revived in 1989 by Alna resident Harry Percival and a dedicated group of volunteers known as the Sheepscot Valley Railroaders. Since then, over three miles of track have been reconstructed along with numerous buildings, railroad cars, and locomotives.
The picnic celebrates the WW&F’s past present and future, with a special focus on each. A retrospective exhibit from the past 30 years is displayed on the station platform, while cars from the recently arrived Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Company and Museum ‘Core Collection’ will be on display. A journey by train to Top of Mountain will reveal ongoing work on the Railway’s .75 mile ‘Mountain Extension.’
Saturday, Midcoast band Bitter Brew will be performing live throughout the day. Two historic steam locomotives will be in operation throughout the day. Special evening train operations will commence at 5 p.m. for those interested in railway photography.
Throughout the weekend picnic foods will be available for purchase on site. A yard sale benefitting the Museum archive will also be open both Saturday and Sunday.
The Museum grounds at 97 Cross Road in Alna will be open from 9:30 a.m. until 4 p.m., with trains leaving for a five-mile, 50-minute round trip to Top of Mountain Station regularly from 10:30 a.m until 3 p.m.
Call 882-4193 for more details or visit wwfry.org.