UPDATE: LA makes grief counselors available after teen dies at scene of Edgecomb crash Friday

Posted:  Friday, June 8, 2018 - 8:00pm

Update: Lincoln Academy will be open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, June 9 and Sunday, June 10 with grief counselors to meet with anyone, following the death of a student, Isabelle Manahan, in a car accident Friday, a family spokesman said Saturday.

Manahan had just finished the last day of her freshman year on Friday, Lincoln Academy Communications Director Jen Mayher said.

Original post: Speed and inexperience are indicated as factors in the death of a teen driving in Edgecomb Friday afternoon. At 2:02 p.m. Friday, Lincoln County Communications Center received a report of a motor vehicle collision on Parsons Point Road in Edgecomb. Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office deputies, Edegcomb Fire, Wiscasset Ambulance and Boothbay Regional Ambulance were dispatched.

The road is a narrow residential roadway. The preliminary investigation showed a 2006 Subaru station wagon occupied by four female teens was being driven by an unlicensed teen driver, traveling north when it left the roadway and struck several trees. The Subaru then came to rest off the road. The driver, 15, was fatally injured and pronounced dead at the scene by emergency medical personnel.

The other three girls, one 14, the others 15, were transported by ambulance with non-life threatening injuries. Two were transported to Maine Medical Center in Portland and one to Lincoln Health Miles Campus in Damariscotta. All occupants were wearing seatbelts and the airbags deployed. The preliminary investigation indicates speed and inexperience are factors.

The Medical Examiner’s Office will determine a cause of death. Alcohol is not believed to be a factor at this point. The investigation into the unlicensed operation and possession of the vehicle will continue with further interviews. The Sheriff’s Office is assisting with the crash reconstruction. Boothbay Fire Department also assisted at the scene. Due to the ages, the names of the juveniles are not being released. The road was shut down until 5:30 p.m.