Fire at transfer station quickly extinguished

Posted:  Thursday, May 9, 2019 - 3:15pm
Share: 

A fire in one of the trash bins at the Waste Management Facility was quickly extinguished by area firefighters on Thursday afternoon, May 9. No one was hurt as a result of the fire.

The fire was reported to Lincoln County Communications just before 2 p.m. Firefighters from Boothbay, Boothbay Harbor, Southport and Edgecomb responded. Also responding were Boothbay Region Ambulance Service and the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office. A Central Maine Power truck came to shut off power to the building.

Office worker Anna Giles said one of the workers told her there was a fire in one of the bins. She said she quickly gathered information from a computer on a thumb drive and got out of the building.

“And some people were a bit dismayed when we had to send them away (from delivering their trash),” said Giles.

The fire was contained to the bin and once firefighters were able to get water in the bin, a truck was able to pull the bin from under the building, where firefighters put more water on the source of the fire.

Firefighters cleared the scene just after 3 p.m.

More on the fire will be forthcoming.