The moment many patrons have been asking about is here...Interlibrary loan (ILL) is back!
ILL service has been shutdown since the March response to COVID-19. Like us, most libraries in the state did not resume lending services until June, so there was nothing to miss!
Since curbside service started, we’ve relied on our own local collection, and patrons suggestions for purchases. While BHML has a great collection and responsive patron-driven collection development practices, it’s awesome to be able to get items from over 60 other libraries!
With ILL back on, you can go ahead and place requests on items that BHML doesn’t own. Just remember, we quarantine everything that comes into the building. ILL requests will not be at the normal turnaround rate, and we are only receiving shipments once a week. ILLs may take about 10 days once set in transit from the loaning library. If you want something fast, request items from our collection; for ILL, tap into the virtue of patience.
In other news…
I am pleased to announce that Harolyn Hylton (formerly Public Services/Children’s Librarian) has been promoted to assistant director.
If you know Harolyn, you know this was a no-brainer! She is passionate, hardworking, fun, caring, and has over 20 years experiences in libraries and bookstores. Plus, she’s community minded and takes great care of Zues (because why shouldn’t animal care be a qualification for library leadership?).
Here’s a few reminders from the new assistant director to make your curbside summer as fruitful as possible:
- Please continue to use the catalog to request books - we’ve created a “browse” list of searches for you of new items in the BHML collection: https://bbhlibrary.org/curbside-catalog-quick-links/
- You may also email requests to email@example.com and of course call us at 633-3112.
- Please return all materials through the book drop located at the front of the building. And remember, all returns are quarantined for 5 days so items will remain on your library account until after the quarantine period.
- Need kids books and are overwhelmed with the catalog searches? We can pick them out for you! Send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org - include ages of the kids, what their favourite topics and interests are, number of books needed, etc. We will fill a bag with books based on the information given. Then we’ll call and schedule a pick up time...and just like that your family library trip is done!
- And don’t forget we have our online Summer Reading contest going on https://bbhlibrary.org/summerreading2020/
Upcoming event: Wednesday, Aug. 12, 6:30 p.m., join us on Zoom for a live-stream performance of: I Now Pronounce You Lucy Stone™. Stone’s message inspired thousands of women to join the suffrage movement. Learn More at https://bbhlibrary.org/8-12-livestream-i-now-pronounce-you-lucy-stone/