American Legion Post 36

Mon, 01/18/2021 - 8:30am

As we go forward with our new government leadership, I think it is important for all American Legion members to remember what the American Legion is all about and what we recite at every meeting:

“For God and Country, we associate ourselves together for the following purposes:

  • To uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States of America;
  • To maintain law and order;
  • To foster and perpetuate a one hundred percent Americanism;
  • To preserve the memories and incidents of our associations in all Wars;
  • To inculcate a sense of individual obligation to the Community, State, and Nation;
  • To combat the autocracy of both the classes and the masses;
  • To make right the master of might;
  • To promote peace and good will on earth;
  • To safeguard and transmit to posterity the principles of justice, freedom, and democracy;
  • To consecrate and sanctify our comradeship by our devotion to mutual helpfulness.”


Update on VA Togus vaccinations: “As of Jan 15th, 2021 VA Maine, has vaccinated over 590 Veterans. 554 outpatient Veterans have received vaccines via our drive through clinic at Togus VA Medical Center. We have administered over 83.5% of all first dose vaccines received and are in the process of scheduling the remaining 16.5%. As more vaccines become available for more groups of Veterans, VA care teams will reach out to eligible Veterans to schedule vaccinations. There is no need to preregister or come to a facility to sign up. Use the link below to help us understand your interest in getting a vaccine. You'll receive updates on how VA is providing vaccines across the country—and when you can get your vaccine if you want one.” If anyone has trouble “signing in,” call the Hall (633-4487) to make an appointment and we will assist you using the computer at the Hall. Need assistance logging into the VA system for obtaining travel pay or enrolling in MyHealthyVet, again, call the Hall.

I would like to thank everyone who contributes their returnable cans and bottles to our Post. Thanks to your contributions, we have been able to cover our monthly operating expenses which has become difficult during the pandemic. For those who don’t know where to bring them, our “redemption bin” is in the entry way corner of Hawke’s.

The next event at the Hall will be the “4 Chaplain Ceremony.” We will be limiting attendance to ensure compliance with CDC and state guidelines. If you are interested in attending, call the Hall at 633-4487 or email

The next Post meeting will be Zoom only on Feb. 8.